C. W. WEST
Appointment of Carl West,
Director of Canal Services of the Department, to the position of Deputy Minister
effective January 1, 1954. was announced October 28. Mr. West succeeds
J-C. Lessard who has retired to enter commercial life. He will have jurisdiction over
Marine Services, Canal Services, Steamship Inspection, Steamer operation, St.Lawrence Ship Channel. all Administrative Branches and the Special Projects
Branch of the Department.
Mr. West was born in Seymour Township near Campbellford, Ont., attended high
school there and was an honour graduate from the University of Toronto in 1915
with the degree of B.Sc.. in hydraulic engineering. During the first World War,
he served in the Canadian Infantry and Canadian Engineers.
Following demobilization, Mr. West was appointed Senior Assistant and then
Division Engineer in charge of the construction of Sections 3. 4 and 4b of the
Welland Ship Canal in the Department of Railways and Canals.
In 1933, he organized the operation staff of the Welland Ship Canal and
became the first Superintending Engineer which position he held until 1947 when
he was transferred to Ottawa as Director, Canal Services.
John Russel Baldwin. Chairman of the Air Transport Board, has been appointed
Deputy Minister for Air Services of the Department with supervision over Civil
Aviation, Telecommunication and Meteorological Divisions effective January 1.
Mr. Baldwin's aviation background includes his having been a member of the
Inter-departmental Committee on Civil Aviation which was set up in 1942 to make
recommendations regarding the post-war policy. He was a delegate,and active in
the preparation of the proposal which Parliament approved for submission to the
International Civil Aviation Conference held in Chicago in 1944. He was also
active in the negotiations which have led to the conclusion of bilateral air
agreements between Canada and other countries.
Mr. Baldwin was born in Toronto and received his education at McMaster
University (BA): Toronto University (MA) and Oxford University (B.Litt.) He was
a member of the Faculty of History at McMaster University (1937-38): then
National Secretary of the Canadian Institute of International Affairs from 1938
to 1941. He entered government service in 1941 with the Department of External
Affairs. later transferred to the Privy Council office where he served as
Assistant Secretary to the War Committee of the Cabinet during the war years and
subsequently as Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet.
Promotion of Air Vice Marshal
Niverville, C.B.. District Con troller of Air Services, Department of Transport
at Montreal, to the newly created position of Associate Director of Air Services
at Ottawa, was announced on September 10.
Air Vice Marshal de Niverville was the highest ranking Canadian officer of
French extraction in the RCAF on his retirement in August, 1945. He was
appointed as District Controller in the Department of Transport in 1948. Born
in Montreal in 1897, he was educated in Ottawa and served as a pilot with the
Royal Flying Corps during World War I. Wounded in aerial combat, he became
flying instructor until his return to Canada in 1919.
Transferring from the RAF to the RCAF reserve
and then to the active list of that service. Flight Lieutenant de Niverville
rose to Wing Commander by the time World War II broke out. He was one of the
RCAF officials whose report on methods and organization was considered useful in
the setting up of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. During World War
II, he was appointed in succession to the position of Director of Air Manning,
Air Officer Commanding No. 3 Traininq Command, and Air Member for Training at
William Sinclair Lawson, formerly District Superintendent of Airways.
Vancouver, was promoted to District Controller of Air Services, Winnipeg.
August 22. Mr. Lawson entered DOT service in 1936 as Assistant Inspector at
Regina. His early experiences there included the selection of radio range sites
and and surveys for emergency aerodromes for the trans-Canada airway. In 1939 he
was promoted to the position of District Inspector Western Airways. Lethbridge.
in charge of territory from Saskatchewan west and north. As the work load
increased this district was split and Mr. Lawson moved with the district office
to Vancouver. Later he became District Superintendent of Airways. For the part
played in the selection of aerodromes for the Joint Air Training Plan. Mr.
Lawson was awarded the M.B.E.
Before coming to the Department, the new district controller had operated a
flying training school and charter business, had been a bush pilot, a flying
instructor with RCAF (non permanent) and a captain in the Reserve Artillery. He
received his flying training in the Flying Corps in World War I graduating as a
fighter pilot. He had previously seen service with the Royal Canadian Artillery,
where he was awarded the Military Medal for bravery under shell fire.
J. Leon Blondeau. District Superintendent Air Regulations. Montreal, has been
promoted to District Controller of Air Services.
Mr. Blondeau is a native of
Quebec City. Too young during World War I, he took up flying in the 1920's and
for a while was operating a successful aviation school in his home city. He
joined the Civil Aviation Division of the Department of National Defence in 1936
and later that year, was transferred with that service to the newly created
Department of Transport. First appointed as Assistant Inspector at Montreal, he
was promoted in succession to the position of Inspector, then District
Inspector. Air Regulations. and later District Superintendent, Air Regulations.
Appointment of Captain
Georges-Edouard Gaudreau, of Quebec City, to the position of District Marine
Agent of the Department of Transport with headquarters in that city. was
announced September 18. Captain Gaudreau succeeds Walter Manning who was
recently transferred to Ottawa as Chief of Aids to Navigation.
The new Quebec District Marine Agent has been with the Department since 1945,
first in the capacity of Inspector of Small Vessels and later as Superintendent
of Lights. He served three years with the Royal Canadian Navy during World War
II, first in United Kingdom and Iceland waters and later as Officer in Charge of Rimouski Naval Station.
Born at l'Islet. Que., Captain
Gaudreau attended school in that town and
later went to University of Ottawa. He received his Master's Certificate in 1934
and is intimately acquainted with coastal waters, particularly the lower St.