CANADIAN EPICS IN RADIOCOMMUNICATION
ALUMNI WHO LIVED THE ADVENTURE OF RADIO
WIRELESS TELEGRAPHISTS - SPARKS - RADIO PIONEERS
RADIO OPERATORS - RADIO TECHNICIANS
RADIO TECHNOLOGISTS - RADIO ENGINEERS
RADIO INSPECTORS - SPECTRUM MANAGERS
ÉPOPÉES CANADIENNES EN RADIOCOMMUNICATION
LES ANCIENS QUI ONT VÉCU L'AVENTURE DE LA RADIO
TÉLÉGRAPHISTES SANS FIL - PIONNIERS DE LA RADIO
OPÉRATEURS RADIO - TECHNICIENS RADIO
TECHNOLOGUES RADIO - INGÉNIEURS RADIO
INSPECTEURS RADIO - GESTIONNAIRES DU SPECTRE
Point Grey ' Y '
VAI Point Grey, B.C. , a coast station, is the ancestor of the Marine Traffic Control System in Vancouver, having been in business since 1908. Some years later, during the 2nd World War, Point Grey got better known when women worked there. The lack of radio operators was a problem and the government needed to intercept the Japanese KANA Morse code.
Hence , space was acquired in the building to house what was then called a ' Y ' or radio intercepts operation.
After several years of research, some tidbits of information was gathered from discrete sources until some who worked there were found and historical data was at last obtained. We are grateful to:
In 1950, part of a national program, the first monitoring installation in the Pacific region, was made in a back room at the Pt. Grey station. State of the art General Radio Co. precision measurement equipment, together with an RCA AR88LF receiver, were supplied from Ottawa.
An Ottawa technician made the installation with assistance from Sid Woods from the Pacific Region Radio Workshop. Initially, monitoring was restricted to below 30 MHz, but VHF capability was added later. Vern Read was appointed as the monitoring operator, and this service was only open weekdays, except when special assignments were required.
A work in progress !
Point Grey/Lulu Is./Steveston ,BC
progress ... (1936
- mid 50's ) for 'Y' or intercepts operation
Gold, Sammy, shift supervisor
?, Vern , shift supervisor
Thomas, Ron, later went to VAE and on to being a radio inspector
Mayne, Tommy > formerly with the Merchant navy